Friday, January 13, 2012

Sewing 2011 Reflections & Predictions

 Sew, Mama, Sew! is asking bloggers to answer these questions about sewing... 2011 reflections & 2012 predictions... here are mine, keeping in mind that I'm more a sewist (of children's garments) than a quilter... here we go... 

1) What did you make that you’re most proud of?

1) 4 Princess Rapunzel dresses (above photo), Girls Charm Pack Skirt from the Stitch by Stitch book (that's where I tried a new to me gathering method ~ zigzag stitching over cording & it is now my preferred gathering method),
 I followed my first sewing pattern in the French language with Suzanne from Citronille,
 Abby Jacket,
 for our living room couch the patchwork pillow from the Sewing Bits & Pieces book,
 & just for fun a Tomte Stuffy from the Scandinavian Stitches book.
2) Looking back at the 2011 sewing scene, what trends stand out in your mind?

2) Ruffles, ombre, chevron, grey & yellow color combo, mustaches, exposed zippers, more sewing for charity when natural disasters happen (quilts for Japan, etc).

3) What were some of your favorite things related to sewing this past year?

3) Project Run & Play (season 1 & season 2), Elsie Marley Kids Clothes weeks (there's one in the spring & one in the fall).

4) What sewn projects have you seen this year that you absolutely love?

4) Skirt as Top, she sewed some lovely little girl ballet skirts... check out her 2011 sewing recap blog post

5) Are there any trends you’re over and done with?

5) Chevron, owls, mustaches, screen printing or freezer paper stencils on t-shirts?

6) What are your thoughts about social media? How is it going for you? What do you love or hate?

6) I really enjoy the online sewing community learning & inspiration through tutorials & sew alongs. I blog, I'm on flickr, tumblr (which is where I have visual bookmarks of ideas from the web), & ravelry... I'm not on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, although I do browse Pinterest from time to time.

7) Do you have a favorite sewing book or pattern from the past year to recommend?

7) Oliver + S Little Things to Sew book by Liesl Gibson.
 So far, I've sewn the tutu & 2 art smocks. 
8) Did you have a favorite fabric collection or print in 2011?

8) JoAnn DS quilt collection: Sugar Creek Whimsy Bouquet Meadow & Picnic Dots Red/Pink. I sewed 2 projects using these fabrics: an art smock
 & a purse.
9) What do you predict for 2012 in the sewing industry?

9) I really don't have a clue, but I'm hoping for more DIY, more repurposing (taking old clothing, vintage sheets, etc & turning it into something new).

10) Can you tell us what to expect from you in 2012? Any big projects or life-changing goals?

10) More sewing:
:: for charity.
:: with denim.
:: on paper.
:: from patterns in French.
:: with fabric from my stash & buying less brand new fabric.
:: with repurposing ~ I so enjoy the challenge of taking a used piece of clothing & turning it into something new.
:: for my daughter, she for sure wants a pink princess dress, if she had it her way it would be 'all pink, all the time', but hopefully I can squeeze a few other colors in there. I'm currently taking part in the Project Run & Play sew along & I plan to take part in Elsie Marley's Kids Clothes week again this year.
I would like to dig out my serger & learn how to thread it & use it.
Also, I will continue to submit my creations to sewing books & sewing magazines & we'll see what happens...